Monday, August 16, 2021

Why Do We Keep Clothes That Don't Fit Anymore?

 WHY DO WE HANG ON TO CLOTHES THAT ARE TOO SMALL FOR US?

I have a pair of Christian Louboutin heels.đź‘ 

I bought them years ago as one of my first purchases after getting a real job.

So as you can imagine, I have a lot of sentimentality attached to them.

But here’s the thing, they’ve always hurt my feet.

In fact, when I told the salesperson that they hurt my feet, he informed me that “Christian Louboutin shoes are not supposed to be comfortable…they’re supposed to be fabulous”.

So there I was unsuccessfully attempting to wear heels that hurt.

Well, after having kids my feet grew and they don’t fit anymore at all.

They’ve been sitting in a box in the back of my closet for years.

CLOTHES THAT NO LONGER FIT SERVE NO PURPOSE.

In reality, they bring no joy. Yes, they used to bring me joy, but they don’t anymore.

What am I truly getting out of a pair of shoes that is sitting in a box in a closet?

But the crazy thing is it has been so hard for me to sell them or give them away because there’s so much meaning that I’ve attached to them.

I bought them during a time in my life when I was in a smaller body, so when I think about those shoes, I can’t help but think about my old body.

I have pictures of myself in my old body wearing those shoes, and they are not memories that are easy to let go of.

However, no matter how much I fight it, the reality is…those shoes are never going to fit my feet again.

I’ve been holding onto them for years thinking if I could just find the perfect magical diet, I’d lose a ton of weight and be able to wear my Louboutin’s again.

I’m sure you can imagine how that has gone.

👉🏾 The truth is, I don’t need to lose weight to be able to wear Christian Louboutin shoes if I want. I could just go buy bigger shoes…right now.

But I’m not going to because they hurt my feet and I’m too old to wear shoes that hurt. 🙅🏽‍♀️

I also no longer want to keep clothes in my closet that don’t fit.

I no longer want to keep sacrificing my soul and happiness for diets and diet culture.

So I’ve given the shoes to my sister.❤️

I hope she loves them. They have a special place in my heart, and I know they will serve her so much more than they have been serving me sitting in a dust bag in my closet.

At least they will finally be getting some use.

P.S. - If you're a woman who wants to learn more about self-love and body acceptance, sign up for my newsletter. It's filled with so much good info. I can't wait to share it with you! Sign up here


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,