Monday, August 16, 2021

Intuitive Eating Doesn't Mean You Eat Everything In Sight

 INTUITIVE EATING DOESN’T MEAN YOU EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT

One of the biggest concerns my coaching clients have about intuitive eating is that it’s a pass to eat as much as they want.

They feel that if they follow the principles of intuitive eating…instead of the rules of a diet…they are giving themselves permission to overeat.

In reality, the opposite is true.

Let me explain by using an example from my own life that just happened.

I was hungry so I decided to go to the store and get some wings and fries. In this particular store, you can choose exactly how many wings you want and exactly how many potato wedges you want.

So, based on the principle of intuitive eating, I took some time to check in with myself and see where my hunger level was. I thought about how much food I believed I actually needed to satisfy my hunger.

Before intuitive eating, I would have just said “Give me the 10 piece wings and the fries”, and then I would have eaten most if not all of it and felt overly full.

How many of you have found yourself eating all the food just because it’s there?🙋🏽‍♀️

With intuitive eating, I asked myself what my body needed to feel full, and I decided on 5 wings and 5 potato wedges.

However, as the server was filling my order, I looked at the quantity of food and realized that I really only needed four of each.

So I walked out of the store with 4 wings and 4 potato wedges.

And…it was fine. In fact, now that I think about it and where I am in terms of my fullness level, I probably would have been just fine with three and three.

That’s the beauty of intuitive eating.

You listen to your body. You eat according to what your body needs, not according to what someone else thinks you need. You gather data and adjust accordingly. You trust yourself and believe that you (and not a mass produced diet) know what’s best for you.

The big fear with intuitive eating is that it will cause you to overeat. In my experience, the opposite is true.

I’m actually eating less than I did before.

P.S. - If you're a woman who wants to learn more about self-love and body acceptance, sign up for my newsletter. It's filled with so much good info. I can't wait to share it with you! Sign up here

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,